Raja Ampat is one of the most popular destinations in the world for marine tourism. It is famous in Indonesia. Its underwater world is beautiful and rich in marine life. There are thousands of species of fish that thrive in coral reef. They become the main attraction for snorkeling and scuba diving visitors. Raja Ampat also has got a number of karst formations that are unique and have got spectacular sceneries that are contrast with the geen color of rainforest and the blue color of the sea.
A Karst Formation in Raja Ampat
Underwater picture from Raja Ampat
The Raja Ampat archipelago has got other attractions. Tropical rainforest that cover its tropical islands is the natural habitat of a lot of species of birds, butterflies, lizards, and beautiful flowers. Red Bird of Paradise (Paradisaea rubra) and Wilson's Bird of Paradise (Diphyllodes respublica) live in the tropical rainforest of Waigeo. Both species, together with other tropical birds can be watched by tourists who want to see the beauty of Raja Ampat not only in its sea but also in its rainforest. Some of the birds which tourists can see include: Palm Cockatoo, Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, Red-cheeked Parrot, Pinon Imperial Pigeon, Common Paradise Kingfisher, as well as coastal birds such as Willie Wagtail, White-bellied Sea Eagle and Lesser Frigatebird.
Typical Scenery in Raja Ampat
Coral Reef in Waigeo island of Raja Ampat
The tour package that is described below combines various activities for exploring both rainforest and the sea of Raja Ampat.
- 08.00 You arrive in Sorong city. We will arrange a car that will transfer you to ferry boat harbor.
- 09.00 We will leave for Raja Ampat by fast ferry boat. It takes 2 hours to reach pur destination.
- 11.00 We will arrive at Port of Waisai. The trip will be continued by car to the outskirt of the town.
- We will take a smaller boat for around 10 minutes to a guesthouse located at the beach.
- 12.00 You could take a rest for a while, enjoy sightseeing at the jetty.
- Lunch will be served at around 13.30.
- After that you could enjoy swimming or snorkeling.
- We will explore the nearby karst of Gam to see its beautiful landscape and do birdwatching. A spotting scope will be provided to enhance the birdwatching experience of the visitors.
- We will wake up early in the morning at 04.30 to make preparation (please, wear hiking boots or sport shoes, apply insect repellent lotion and bring binoculars and camera with telephoto or superzoom lens).
- 05.00 We will start hiking for 1 hour to the site of Red Bird of Paradise. The birds are usually active from 06.00 to 09.00.
- After that we will walk back to our guesthouse for breakfast.
- Snorkeling could be done at the front waters of the guesthouse. Please, bring your own snorkeling mask so that it will perfectly suitable on your face.
- Lunch is served at 12.00.
- After lunch and some rest, we will go sightseeing to karst islets inside Kabui bay. We will go there by boat. We will go hiking to the top of the karst and then see the magnificent view of the surrounding islets that look like mushrooms on the surface of the sea.
- We will do some birdwatching at a beach in the bay.
Red Bird of Paradise (Paradisaea rubra)
- 04.00 We will wake up early in the morning to make preparations.
- 04.30 After drinking some tea or coffee, we will leave our guesthouse by boat.
- 04.45 Arriving at the beach, we shall continue our trip by hiking for 1 hour to the birding site of Wilson's Bird of Paradise. We will watch the bird until around 08.45. There are also other birds that we could see such as Blyth's Hornbill, Eclectus Parrot.
- 09.00 We will walk down the slope to the beach and return to our guesthouse. We can take a rest or enjoy swimming and snorkeling.
- 12.00 Lunch will be served.
- 12.15 We need to pack our things
- 12.30 We say leave the guesthouse for Waisai harbor
- 14.00 We return to Sorong city by fast ferry boat.
- 16.00 Arriving in Sorong, we will transfer you to a hotel that you book by yourself.
- End of Tour
Wilson's Bird of Paradise (Dyphillodes respublica)
Things to bring for Traveling to Indonesia's Raja Ampat Islands:
- Clothes that are suitable for vacation at the beach and forest, such as shorts and t-shirts, long pants and socks.
- Flip-flops, hiking boots or sport shoes
- Insect repellent, sunblock lotion
- Soap, tooth brush, tooth paste, shampoo, razor, towel, and etc.
If you have, please also bring:
- Binoculars and spotting scope for watching birds and other wild animals
- Snorkeling equipment (mask, snorkel, and fins)
- Underwater camera such as Nikon W300
- D-SLR camera with telephoto lens or bridge camera with superzoom lens such as Nikon P1000.
Cost of the tour :
- 1 person: 10,000,000 rupiahs/ person
- 2 people: 5,500,000 rupiahs/ person
- 3 people: 4,500,000 rupiahs/ person
- 4 people: 4,000,000 rupiahs/ person
- 5 people: 3,800,000 rupiahs/ person
The prices are subject to change without notice.
The above cost includes: transportation, accommodation in simple guesthouse operated by local villagers, food, payments in birding sites and places of interest
The cost does not include airfare, entrance fee to Raja Ampat, and any expenses before and after the tour.
Booking: Please, contact Charles Roring Whatsapp: +6281332245180 E-mail: email@example.com
Tour extension both in Raja Ampat and Mainland of West Papua can be arranged upon special request.