Tambrauw is located between the regencies of Manokwari and Sorong. Most of its land is still covered by pristine tropical rainforest that is home to a lot of species of plants and animals. As a tourist guide, I have organized numerous tours for visitors who want to explore the wealth of bio-diversity of the rainforest of Tambrauw. Birding and wildlife watching tours can be carried out in lowland and hill forest to watch birds of paradise, deer, soa-soa lizards, cuscus possum and bandicoot. The duration of the tour could be as short as 4 days/ 3 nights to as long as 1 to 2 weeks. During the tour, I, and some villagers, will organize day walks and night walks in the forest and along the sides of a river. Since there are no hotels or guesthouses in the forest, visitors will stay in tents that we build at the banks of the river. We provide tents, cooking and eating utensils so that our visitors do not have to bring heavy equipment for the tour.
Please, consider this itinerary as a reference only, we could customize the tour according to the number of days visitors want to spend in the forest and the destination in the mountains.
- We will meet you in Sorong city and organize your trip Tambrauw mountains by a 4WD car. It takes approximately 3 hours to reach our destination.
- We shall continue our trip on foot into the jungle. Local villagers will help carry our bags and food materials as well as camping device.
- After reaching a distance of around 500 meters from the main road, we will build our first tents at the bank of a river. While local guides and villagers build tents, boil water for our tea or coffee, visitors can enjoy swimming in the river or do some walks in the forest to watch birds and see unique plants that grow in the surrounding area.
- After dinner, we will spend one night at the Campsite 1
- We will wake up early in the morning and have coffee or tea with some biscuits. After that we will walk into the forest up some slopes to the birding site for Lesser Birds of Paradise. We will watch the birds until 09.00 a.m
- After watching paradise birds, we will walk back to our basecamp to have lunch. At approximately 11.00 local time, we will dismantle our tents and continue our expedition into deeper forest area. It takes around 2 hours of walk to reach second camping ground. While villagers build tents and boil water for making tea or coffee, visitors could enjoy swimming in the river or do birding and wildlife watching in the surrounding forest.
- After dinner, the exploration of the forest could be continued at night to find nocturnal animals such as cuscus possum, bandicoot and wallaby. Overnight stay at Campsite 2
- After breakfast, we will continue our trip to deeper area of the forest where we will explore more wildlife of Tambrauw mountains. There are wild flowers especially orchids that grow both on he ground and in trees. There are also birds such as King Bird of Paradise, Grey Crow, Black-capped Lory, Egret and Hooded Butcherbird that we can watch.
- We will return to our tents again to have lunch and then go birding in late afternoon to find such birds as Great Cuckoo Dove, Yellow-billed Kingfisher, Wompoo Fruit-Dove, Pinon Imperial Pigeon, Western-crowned Pigeon, Pink-spotted Fruit Dove, and Oriental Dollarbird
- We will do night walk again to find nocturnal animals in the forest.
- In the morning, birds are very active. We can watch them from our tents at the the riverside. After breakfast, we will dismantle our tents and do birding walk slowly back to main road. We will arrive around in the afternoon.
- Our cars will take us back to Sorong city
Visitors traveling to Tambrauw can fly to Manokwari city or Sorong city and then continue their trip to Tambrauw. But they can also fly to Sausapor town by a small passenger aircraft Susi Air whose maximum carrying capacity is only 10 people. The name of the airport is Douglas MacArthur located next to Werur village
For more information, please, contact me (Charles Roring) by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by whatsapp to: +6281332245180.